On Saturday, a football match in central Mexico turned into a violent clash between fans of opposing teams. The Corregidora Stadium in Querétaro was the scene of the riots, which left 26 people injured, three of them seriously. The graphic and disturbing violence has provoked outrage throughout the Mexican football community and calls for accountability and change. Barriers aimed at separating groups of followers were reportedly broken and the fight began in the stands, causing some fans to invade the camp to escape from it. But violence followed, and the Queretaro-Atlas match was finally suspended in the 63rd minute.
In another video interview, a 16-year-old Atlas fan claimed that one of his close friends died at the Corregidora Stadium, but declined to share his name out of respect. He also indicated that others were killed, accusing stadium security of allowing Queretaro fans to enter the visiting Atlas supporters section from both sides to catch them. The regional governing body CONCACAF called for heavy sanctions on football, while the world governing body FIFA encouraged local authorities to bring swift justice to those responsible. There is no indication that violence could harm Mexico's ability to co-host the 2026 World Cup matches along with the United States and Canada. As of 8 March, there were no official reports of deaths from the incidents, which left 26 hospitalized, five in serious condition and one in critical condition. Mexican authorities say 26 people were hospitalized in a shocking fight at a Mexican football match on Saturday. Hours later, Mexico's TUDN reported that all Liga MX matches scheduled for Sunday had been suspended, which had been requested by the league players union.
The Mexican daily Milenio published a story describing recent problems involving groups of fans, adding that they are considered two of the most violent in Mexican football. The first arrests were made in the wake of the violent March 5 riots that took place during a Mexican league match in Querétaro, and the league owners issued sanctions and took other extraordinary measures after one of the darkest days for the sport in Mexico. For her part, the Secretary of State of Querétaro said she would be reviewing the existing stadium loan agreement between the state and the football club in the event of a breach of contract. Mexico's football federation said on Tuesday it will ban loud fan clubs known as “barras” from attending away games after a massive weekend fight among football fans that left more than two dozen people injured, three of them critically. The aftermath of a fierce riot fight at a Queretaro football match is being felt throughout Mexico, including FC Juarez. A Liga MX match between Querétaro and Atlas in Mexico on Saturday resulted in a massive fan fight that left at least 26 people hospitalized. (CNN), a massive brawl broke out on Saturday in the stands of a football match in Mexico and left at least 26 people injured, two of whom are in serious condition. Liga MX said in a statement that it had begun “an in-depth investigation into what happened in the stands, on the pitch and outside the building during the match. State authorities in north-central Mexico suspended five officials after a big fight between fans during a weekend match left 26 people injured, three seriously. The scenes of violence have provoked outrage throughout the Mexican football community and calls for accountability and change. Atlas, the defending champion of Liga MX, had led Queretaro 1-0 when the fight broke out in the stands. The match was eventually postponed due to safety concerns.
The first arrests were made following this incident and Liga MX owners issued sanctions and took other extraordinary measures after one of the darkest days for Mexican football. Mexico's football federation has now banned loud fan clubs known as “barras” from attending away games after this incident. This is an effort to prevent similar incidents from occurring again. The aftermath of this violent riot fight is being felt throughout Mexico. The regional governing body CONCACAF called for heavy sanctions on football, while FIFA encouraged local authorities to bring swift justice to those responsible. There is no indication that violence could harm Mexico's ability to co-host 2026 World Cup matches along with United States and Canada.